OPEC Fund Quarterly - 2026 Q1

MONUMENT

The early years Obere Donaustrasse 93 1976–1978

T he year 1979 brought more than a move to new premises. That September, an amendment to the constituent agreement authorized loan repayments to finance fresh operations, transforming the OPEC Special Fund into a permanent institution. By early 1980, it had gained full international legal personality and a new name: the OPEC Fund for International Development. The prestigious Palais Strudlhof provided an apt setting for this progress. The building had hosted pivotal diplomacy before: in 1914, a secret Austro-Hungarian Council of Ministers meeting there finalized the ultimatum to Serbia, effectively setting the First World War in motion. In 1970, it housed the US delegation during the Strategic Arms Limitation Talks on nuclear disarmament with the Soviet Union. Dating to the late 1800s, the neoclassical palais sits on a ridge Palais Strudlhof 1979-1982 C onceived at the 1975 Conference of OPEC Heads of State in Algiers, the undertaking soon took shape as the OPEC Special Fund. Formally established in 1976, it was intended as a temporary channel of assistance – a practical expression of “the natural solidarity which unites OPEC countries with other developing countries in their struggle to overcome underdevelopment.” Initially housed within OPEC’s Headquarters at Obere Donaustrasse 93, the offices overlooked Vienna’s Danube Canal on a site rich in cultural heritage. Once home to the historic Dianabad baths, the building became a dance hall in 1860 and hosted the first performance of the world’s most famous waltz, An der schönen blauen Donau , on February 15, 1867. Within months of inception, the OPEC Fund signed its first financing agreements: balance of payments

support for Sudan, Pakistan, Samoa and Mauritania, followed by a major contribution to the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) and technical assistance grants. The success of these early operations soon made clear the need for a permanent mandate – and a Headquarters to match its growing ambition. By late 1978, a new home in Vienna was secured.

A lso known as the Deutschmeister- Palais, the building at Parkring 8 – facing Vienna’s Stadtpark – has been the heart of the OPEC Fund for more than four decades. Following an extensive renovation after its purchase in 1981, staff moved into the new premises in late 1982. The palais was designed by Theophil von Hansen, the renowned architect behind many of Vienna’s best known landmarks, most notably the Austrian Parliament, the Musikverein concert hall and the Academy of Fine Arts, all of which can be found on or near the same Ringstrasse where the OPEC Fund has its Headquarters. The palais, completed in 1868, was originally the residence of Archduke Wilhelm Franz Karl of the ruling Habsburg dynasty and a cousin to Emperor Franz Joseph. He also served as Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights, a military religious order which later dedicated itself to charity. Its grand banquet hall, adorned with the coats Palais Erzherzog Wilhelm The current

in Vienna’s 9th district, overlooking the Strudlhof Steps – an iconic Jugendstil landmark and namesake of a celebrated Austrian novel. From its colonnaded balcony, one can glimpse Palais Liechtenstein, site of the 2023 OPEC Fund Development Forum. Yet Palais Strudlhof was only a temporary home. As the OPEC Fund’s activities expanded, so did its need for a flagship Headquarters – secured in 1981 along Vienna’s historic Ringstrasse.

98

Powered by