THE HISTORY OF THE OPEC FUND
The Deutschmeister-Palais The Deutschmeister-Palais, also known as Palais Erzherzog Wilhelm, has been the official Headquarters of the OPEC Fund since 1981. Located on the Parkring end of the Ringstrasse, Vienna’s main boulevard, the building was designed in the years 1864- 1866 by the architect Theophil von Hansen as a residence for Archduke Wilhelm Franz of Austria (1827-1894), a member of the ruling Habsburg dynasty and a cousin to Emperor Franz Joseph.
The palais in neoclassical style is considered one of Hansen’s masterpieces and one of the finest along the Ringstrasse. As Grand Master of the Teutonic Order of Knights, Archduke Wilhelm in later years housed the religious society in his building. The former grand hall is still emblazoned with crests, seals and other emblems of the order. For more than four
decades, the OPEC Fund has maintained the palais, both preserving its historic elements from the 19th century while upgrading its offices for doing business in the 21st. The interested public is invited to visit the historic premises once a year on Austria’s National Heritage Day.
28
Powered by FlippingBook